anxiety treatment, stress management, postpartum support
Is Your Stress Affecting Your Whole Family?
- Do you feel overwhelmed by the endless to-do list?
- Are you losing your temper over little things and feeling guilty afterward?
- Do you spend too much time worrying about whether you're doing it 'right'?
- Are you feeling disconnected from your partner, friends, and the activities you used to love?
- Are you afraid that your stress will be damaging to your children if you don't do something about it soon?
It's easy to feel overwhelmed, guilty, and alone in our busy world. The demands of a career and family can make it hard to find the ease, connection, and joy you want in your life.
When you get lost in the pressures of taking care of everyone else, the job, house, the cooking, the errands, chronic stress and anxiety can become the new normal. Over time, your stress and anxiety lead to less self-care, less intimacy, less fulfillment, and less ease and joy in your family life.
You may start to feel ashamed, guilty, and powerless to stop the chronic overwhelm and stress, which only leads to more irritability, conflict, and unhappiness.
Your Chronic Stress is a Consequence of the Toxic Expectations of a perfectionist culture.
Over time, the pressures to 'do it all' can overshadow your deep commitment to keeping yourself healthy and happy. When you lose sight of your own values and start defining your 'success' based on unrealistic, toxic ideals, it makes sense that you end up feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and short tempered.
The good news is, with the help of a compassionate, practical, experienced therapist, you can get back to feeling relaxed, confident and joyful.
solution-focused counseling can help you reclaim ease & joy in your everyday life
I have dealt with the issues you are struggling, both personally and professionally.
I know the particular challenges that come with taking care of your health and happiness while working full time and raising small children. Working together, you will have a partner who is an expert with years of experience helping sensitive, smart adults overcome toxic anxiety and stress.
In our sessions, we will help you reconnect with your core-values and identify what brings a sense of meaning and purpose to your life. Research shows that a clear sense of purpose and values-based intentions are crucial to happiness.
I use a counseling strategy called Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, which is a cutting-edge, short-term approach that is extremely effective with stress management and anxiety treatment, and clients report enjoying the process much more than other therapies. This approach allows us to develop strategies together that will help you shorten your to-do list, relax and calm your mind and body, and create daily habits that bring deep joy and connection.
I bring optimism and energy to each session, to help you let go of external expectations and start taking action that really serves you and what matters most to you - a happy, healthy life. With simple homework 'experiments' and access to me between sessions for coaching and problem-solving, you will lose your temper less and start laughing, playing, and loving more.
Even if you feel stuck in overwhelm right now, with the help of a dedicated, supportive and experienced therapist, you can feel relaxed, joyful, and in love with your life again (even with a sink full of dishes and toys all over the house!).
frequently asked questions...
I'm already too busy, how am I supposed to find the time for counseling?
- Your needs are central to the happiness of your family. I know many women have a hard time carving out time for themselves, but making time for counseling will benefit you and your family. I also work by phone or video chat to help limit travel time and childcare challenges. Our work with be very focused and action-oriented, so you can expect to see real results within only a few weeks. Most clients commit to working together a minimum of 6 sessions, and many continue to get my support for years on an as-needed basis.
Raising kids is expensive and I don't know if I can afford counseling right now?
- Just like with time, your happiness is worth investing in financially. My fees are $175 for ongoing 50 minute sessions, and $225 for 75 minute sessions which may be used on occasion. If this expense would financial hardship, I can provide low-cost referral options.
I don't have the energy to deal With old pain. Am I going to have to talk about my past?
- Our work will be focused on your present and future, with the goal of creating the ease, confidence, and happiness you want. We may make some connections to your past when the insights seem important to shift old patterns, but the focus will always be on making things better now. This approach is not a good fit for everyone, so we can get on the phone and discuss your situation and decide together.
I don't live in Austin, can I still work with you?
- Yes! I work with women from around the world via phone or video chat. Remote counseling is appropriate if you are highly motivated, able to function well on a daily basis, and have clear goals for our work.
"When I first came to Jessica, I didn't realize how stressed and anxious I was - I thought that was just how motherhood was supposed to feel! She helped me see all the things I'm doing well as a mom, and encouraged me to love myself, not just my kids. I feel so much more relaxed now, and am more available to my kids and husband in a real way. I'm not just flipping between stressed-out and checked out on my phone. I'm really present (most of the time!) and enjoying it. I'm so grateful to have Jessica in my life!" - P.D.
"I feel so safe with Dr. J and feel she has a combination of really smart insight as well as wise tools for helping moms who care a whole bunch but who can get ourselves in trouble with over-responsibility taking. Through working together, I learned that making simple commitments to myself each day made a huge difference, and that what is most important to me - my happiness and my family - need to be top of my to-do list every day!" - D.C.
"I've learned that when I focus on the good in a day, I can be proud of myself and also see that I'm living according to my values and beliefs. I'm enjoying myself more; paying attention to the present moment; being gentle with myself. I am finally having more fun and truly believe that I am 'enough'." - F. L.
* All testimonials shared with permission and identities are kept confidential